After install of agent, portainer no longer loads

I am new to docker and portainer… installed it yesterday on Linux Mint Kernel: 5.4.0-52-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
… like so:

sudo apt install docker.io
sudo systemctl enable docker
# failed with being masked
sudo systemctl unmask docker
sudo systemctl start docker
sudo systemctl enable docker

That was successful… and without doing anythign further I installed portainer:

sudo docker run -d \
--name="portainer" \
--restart on-failure \
-p 9000:9000 \
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
-v portainer_data:/data \
portainer/portainer-ce

Connected to http://localhost:9000; entered user name and password, and all seems to be working.

I clicked around the user interface and figured I need some .yml files to get applications installed.
I started with openHAB v2.5.9 as per guidance from https://hub.docker.com/r/openhab/openhab/
… and clicked in menu:stacks (I think, can’t see portainer ATM) and copied this script into it.

version: '2.2'

services:
  openhab:
    image: "openhab/openhab:2.5.9"
    restart: always
    network_mode: host
    volumes:
      - "/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro"
      - "/etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro"
      - "./openhab_addons:/openhab/addons"
      - "./openhab_conf:/openhab/conf"
      - "./openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata"
    environment:
      OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT: "8080"
      OPENHAB_HTTPS_PORT: "8443"
      EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS: "-Duser.timezone=Australia/Brisbane"

This created the application and it was accessible via localhost:8080
While playing with this application I figured how good it would be to enter some configuration and searched for access to the application folders.

I found this video: How-to: Use the Portainer volume browser feature

Trusting this is ‘coming from the horses mouth’, I went straight into replicating the steps:

sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                            COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                              NAMES
8dce45911d55        openhab/openhab:3.0.0-snapshot   "/entrypoint.sh gosu…"   30 minutes ago      Up 8 minutes                                           ohv3_openhab_1
45c196f234be        portainer/portainer-ce           "/portainer"             19 hours ago        Up 19 hours         8000/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9000->9000/tcp   portainer
# [2020-10-24 14:58] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker stop 45c
45c
# [2020-10-24 14:59] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker rm 45c
45c
# [2020-10-24 15:00] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                            COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES
8dce45911d55        openhab/openhab:3.0.0-snapshot   "/entrypoint.sh gosu…"   32 minutes ago      Up 10 minutes                           ohv3_openhab_1

sudo curl -L https://downloads.portainer.io/portainer-agent-stack.yml -o portainer-agent-stack.yml
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   757  100   757    0     0    846      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   845

# [2020-10-24 15:02] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker stack deploy --compose-file=portainer-agent-stack.yml portainer
this node is not a swarm manager. Use "docker swarm init" or "docker swarm join" to connect this node to swarm and try again

# [2020-10-24 15:02] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker swarm init
Swarm initialized: current node (vxbmsxdea3cqk1e90ri20p9w2) is now a manager.

To add a worker to this swarm, run the following command:

docker swarm join --token SWMTKN-1-2mt6v14pb4zgunngduje1fg6qhk2w06r6vzfp73sywckyp6cj5-f1ktu8za8x4un1sksirlll2dh 192.168.1.13:2377

To add a manager to this swarm, run 'docker swarm join-token manager' and follow the instructions.

# [2020-10-24 15:04] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker stack deploy --compose-file=portainer-agent-stack.yml portainer
Creating network portainer_agent_network
Creating service portainer_agent
Creating service portainer_portainer
# [2020-10-24 15:04] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $

The video then instructed to reload the portainer browser window I had open, after which I hit reload and the webinterface on ‘localhost:9000’ never came back.

Now I am stuck, as to what to do to get this back up and running.

Any hints appreciated.

Hi @MaxG,

If you want using volume browser feature it’s need portainer agent. I see from your error message, you using standalone docker, and if you want to deploy portainer-agent-stack.yml you need create swarm cluster first. just use command $ docker swarm init for first initialization

I haven’t finished scrolled down yet. After you finish deploying stack, need to wait a while, you can check using this.

$ docker stack services portainer
ID                  NAME                  MODE                REPLICAS            IMAGE                           PORTS
r2kaexyx6300        portainer_agent       global              1/1                 portainer/agent:latest          
rs30wzirvruy        portainer_portainer   replicated          1/1                 portainer/portainer-ce:latest   *:8000->8000/tcp, *:9000->9000/tcp

after the portainer_portainer replicas already reach 1/1, now you can access your Portainer.

Thanks.
I did run docker swarm init (see OP).

The key is to find out, why could I not reload the portainer UI after running through the prescribed steps.
I am not keen to repeat these steps if I enc up with the same result. :slight_smile:

The same issue.
Portainer does not work most of the time.
After swarm init and join one worker.

Docker Swarm is OK. Networking is OK (i can telnet portainer agents via other dockers)
DNS is OK (name resolution tasks.agent).
I 've killed few days for this. There are reports about similar errors 3 years ago.
Unbelievably.