After install of agent, portainer no longer loads

I am new to docker and portainer… installed it yesterday on Linux Mint Kernel: 5.4.0-52-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
… like so:

sudo apt install docker.io
sudo systemctl enable docker
# failed with being masked
sudo systemctl unmask docker
sudo systemctl start docker
sudo systemctl enable docker

That was successful… and without doing anythign further I installed portainer:

sudo docker run -d \
--name="portainer" \
--restart on-failure \
-p 9000:9000 \
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
-v portainer_data:/data \
portainer/portainer-ce

Connected to http://localhost:9000; entered user name and password, and all seems to be working.

I clicked around the user interface and figured I need some .yml files to get applications installed.
I started with openHAB v2.5.9 as per guidance from https://hub.docker.com/r/openhab/openhab/
… and clicked in menu:stacks (I think, can’t see portainer ATM) and copied this script into it.

version: '2.2'

services:
  openhab:
    image: "openhab/openhab:2.5.9"
    restart: always
    network_mode: host
    volumes:
      - "/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro"
      - "/etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro"
      - "./openhab_addons:/openhab/addons"
      - "./openhab_conf:/openhab/conf"
      - "./openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata"
    environment:
      OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT: "8080"
      OPENHAB_HTTPS_PORT: "8443"
      EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS: "-Duser.timezone=Australia/Brisbane"

This created the application and it was accessible via localhost:8080
While playing with this application I figured how good it would be to enter some configuration and searched for access to the application folders.

I found this video: How-to: Use the Portainer volume browser feature

Trusting this is ‘coming from the horses mouth’, I went straight into replicating the steps:

sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                            COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                              NAMES
8dce45911d55        openhab/openhab:3.0.0-snapshot   "/entrypoint.sh gosu…"   30 minutes ago      Up 8 minutes                                           ohv3_openhab_1
45c196f234be        portainer/portainer-ce           "/portainer"             19 hours ago        Up 19 hours         8000/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9000->9000/tcp   portainer
# [2020-10-24 14:58] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker stop 45c
45c
# [2020-10-24 14:59] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker rm 45c
45c
# [2020-10-24 15:00] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                            COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES
8dce45911d55        openhab/openhab:3.0.0-snapshot   "/entrypoint.sh gosu…"   32 minutes ago      Up 10 minutes                           ohv3_openhab_1

sudo curl -L https://downloads.portainer.io/portainer-agent-stack.yml -o portainer-agent-stack.yml
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   757  100   757    0     0    846      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   845

# [2020-10-24 15:02] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker stack deploy --compose-file=portainer-agent-stack.yml portainer
this node is not a swarm manager. Use "docker swarm init" or "docker swarm join" to connect this node to swarm and try again

# [2020-10-24 15:02] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker swarm init
Swarm initialized: current node (vxbmsxdea3cqk1e90ri20p9w2) is now a manager.

To add a worker to this swarm, run the following command:

docker swarm join --token SWMTKN-1-2mt6v14pb4zgunngduje1fg6qhk2w06r6vzfp73sywckyp6cj5-f1ktu8za8x4un1sksirlll2dh 192.168.1.13:2377

To add a manager to this swarm, run 'docker swarm join-token manager' and follow the instructions.

# [2020-10-24 15:04] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $
sudo docker stack deploy --compose-file=portainer-agent-stack.yml portainer
Creating network portainer_agent_network
Creating service portainer_agent
Creating service portainer_portainer
# [2020-10-24 15:04] maxg@maxg-pc-mint /var/lib/docker $

The video then instructed to reload the portainer browser window I had open, after which I hit reload and the webinterface on ‘localhost:9000’ never came back.

Now I am stuck, as to what to do to get this back up and running.

Any hints appreciated.

Hi @MaxG,

If you want using volume browser feature it’s need portainer agent. I see from your error message, you using standalone docker, and if you want to deploy portainer-agent-stack.yml you need create swarm cluster first. just use command $ docker swarm init for first initialization

I haven’t finished scrolled down yet. After you finish deploying stack, need to wait a while, you can check using this.

$ docker stack services portainer
ID                  NAME                  MODE                REPLICAS            IMAGE                           PORTS
r2kaexyx6300        portainer_agent       global              1/1                 portainer/agent:latest          
rs30wzirvruy        portainer_portainer   replicated          1/1                 portainer/portainer-ce:latest   *:8000->8000/tcp, *:9000->9000/tcp

after the portainer_portainer replicas already reach 1/1, now you can access your Portainer.

Thanks.
I did run docker swarm init (see OP).

The key is to find out, why could I not reload the portainer UI after running through the prescribed steps.
I am not keen to repeat these steps if I enc up with the same result. :slight_smile: