Docker.sock Endpoint troubleshooting on Docker for Windows w/ Linux Containers

I’m on Docker for Windows (latest) on Windows 10. Portainer container is working and properly serving the local webpage. I’m having trouble populating the docker.sock file. I had to create an empty file/folder to start, otherwise it wouldn’t load the container instance, and would say that the file “doesn’t exist and is not known to Docker”. I’ve tried creating the volume to the specific file, and to the whole /var/run folder, and either way it is not actually doing any writes. I double-checked, and the account for the Docker service does have full access to the folder.

I’m running the container using these two variations:
docker run -d -p 9001:9000 --name portainer -v c:/dockervol/portainer/var/run/:/var/run/ -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer
AND
docker run -d -p 9001:9000 --name portainer -v c:/dockervol/portainer/var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer

After logging into the local Portainer web page, it shows the docker.sock local endpoint is “down” and when I click I get a notification: “Failure: Endpoint is unreachable and there is no snapshot available for offline viewing.”

It seems there is some problem either capturing the data for the endpoint, or it is unable to write it once it is captured. Is this a proper setup for Docker for Windows when running Linux Containers? How is the container running on my local Docker service able to capture the data, when it is all running inside the Moby VM? Perhaps Portainer will only work on Windows-Windows, Linux-Linux, or using a remote connection?

I found a solution on Github/Portainer:

Either enable TLS, or enable the Docker setting to allow TCP without TLS, and then configure a new endpoint in Portainer and point it to: docker.for.win.localhost:2375